Attleboro is a city in Bristol County, Massachusetts, United States. It was once known as “The Jewelry Capital of the World” for its many jewelry manufacturers. According to the 2010 census, Attleboro had a population of 43,593 in 2010.
Attleboro is located about 10 miles west of Taunton, the same distance to Providence, 18 miles northwest of Fall River, and 39 miles south of Boston.
In 1634, English settlers first arrived in the territory that is now Attleboro. It was incorporated from Rehoboth in 1694 as the town of Attleborough. It included the towns of Cumberland, Rhode Island, until 1747 and North Attleborough, Massachusetts, until 1887. The town was reincorporated in 1914 as the City of Attleboro, with the “-ugh” removed from the name, although at that time North Attleborough kept it. Like many other towns in Massachusetts, it was named for a British town.
During the Native American insurgency in the colonial era, Nathaniel Woodcock, the son of an Attleborough resident, was murdered, and his head was placed on a pole in his father’s front yard. His father’s house is now a historical site. It is rumored that George Washington once passed through Attleborough and stayed near the Woodcock Garrison House at the Hatch Tavern, where he exchanged a shoe buckle with Israel Hatch, a revolutionary soldier and the new owner of the Garrison House.
The city became known for jewelry manufacturing in 1913, particularly because of the many companies like the L.G. Balfour Company. That company has since moved out of the city, and the site of the former plant has been converted into a riverfront park. Attleboro was once known as “The Jewelry Capital of the World”, and jewelry manufacturing firms continue to operate there. One such is the Guyot Brothers Company, which was started in 1904. General Findings, M.S. Company, James A. Murphy Co., Garlan Chain, Leach & Garner, and Masters of Design are jewelry manufacturing companies still in operation.
Attleboro is located at
41°56′N 71°18′W (41.93, −71.32) and has a total area of 27.8 square miles (72.0 km2), of which 26.8 square miles (69.4 km2) is land and 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), or 3.59%, is water. Its borders form an irregular polygon that resembles a truncated triangle pointing west. It is bordered by North Attleborough to the north, Mansfield and Norton to the east, Rehoboth, Seekonk, Massachusetts, and Pawtucket, Rhode Island, to the south, and Cumberland, Rhode Island, to the west. It includes the areas known as Briggs Corner, Dodgeville, East Junction, Hebronville, and South Attleboro.
The Ten Mile River, fed by the BungayRiver and by several brooks, runs through the center of Attleboro. The Manchester Pond Reservoir lies beside Interstate 95, and there are several small ponds in the city. There are two reservation areas, the Antony Lawrence Reservation Area and Coleman Reservation Area, as well as the Bungay River Conservation Area in the north of the city. The highest point in Attleboro is 249-foot (76 m) Oak Hill, located in the southern part of the city north of Oak Hill Avenue.
Demographics and Historical population
Attleboro is part of the Providence metropolitan area. It is a short distance from Boston, and is linked to the Boston metropolitan area.
As of the 2010 census, there were 43,593 people, 16,884 households, and 11,212 families living in the city; the population density was 1,626.6 people per square mile (628.1/km²). There were 18,022 housing units at an average density of 672.5 per square mile (259.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 87.1% White, 3.0% African American, 0.2% Native American, 4.5% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 2.8% some other race, and 2.2% from two or more races. Hispanic and Latino people of any race made up 6.3% of the total. Most of the Hispanic and Asian populations were concentrated in the East Side.
Of the 16,884 households, 33.3% had someone under the age of 18 living with them, 50.1% were headed by married couples living together, 11.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 33.6% were non-families, 26.4% were individuals, and 9.8% were people aged 65 or older living alone. The average size of household was 2.55 and the average family size was 3.11.
The age distribution in the city was: 22.7% under 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 28.5% from 25 to 44, 28.0% from 45 to 64, and 12.9% over 64. The median age was 39.5 years. For every 100 females there were 95.5 males. For every 100 females aged 18 and over, there were 93.3 males.
For the period 2009-2011, the estimated median annual income for a household in the city was $63,647, and the median income for a family was $71,091. Male full-time workers had a median income of $52,558, females $40,954. Per capita income was $30,039. About 4.2% of families and 6.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.4% of those under 18 and 7.8% of those aged 65 or over.
Attleboro’s school department has five elementary schools (Hill-Roberts, Hyman Fine, A. Irvin Studley, Peter Thacher and Thomas Willett), three middle schools (Brennan, Coelho and Wamsutta), and one high school. AttleboroHigh School has its own vocational division, and its football team (the “Blue Bombardiers”) has a traditional rivalry with NorthAttleboroughHigh School, whom they play for their Thanksgiving Day football game. BishopFeehanHigh School is a co-educational Roman Catholic high school which opened in 1961 and is named for Bishop Daniel Francis Feehan, second Bishop of the Diocese of Fall River. The city also has a satellite branch of BristolCommunity College, which used to be housed in the city’s former high school building but has since been relocated to an old Texas Instruments site. BridgewaterStateUniversity opened a satellite site in Attleboro in 2009, sharing space with BristolCommunity College.
Some Points of interest
Downtown, about 1909
Attleboro has four museums: the AttleboroArtsMuseum, the AttleboroAreaIndustrialMuseum, the Women at WorkMuseum, and the Museum at the Mill. Other places of interest in the city include: Capron Park Zoo; L.G. Balfour Riverwalk, which was once the site of the L.G. Balfour jewelry plant, adjacent to the downtown business district; La Salette Shrine, which has a display of Christmas lights; Triboro Youth Theatre / Triboro Musical Theatre; Attleboro Community Theatre; and Dodgeville Mill.
In December 2011, the City of Attleboro was awarded $5.4 million in state and federal funding to support revitalization efforts within the city’s Historic Downtown area. The city’s “Downtown Redevelopment and Revitalization Project” is intended to transform underutilized industrial and commercial parcels into areas of mixed use that include commercial, recreational, and residential space. The project also includes transportation improvements to both MBTA rail and GATRA bus services along with enhanced road construction.
The city project was also selected for the state Brownfield Support Team (BST) Initiative, which encourages collaboration between state, local, and federal government to address complex issues to help pave the way for economic development opportunities in cities and towns across the state of Massachusetts. Contributing BST organizations include the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP), Mass Development, the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD), and the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT).
The religions represented by the churches in Attleboro reflect the historic ethnic makeup of the community. The five Roman Catholic churches—St. John, St. Stephen, St. Joseph, St. Theresa of the Little Flower, and Holy Ghost—reflect the English and Irish, the former French (now Hispanic), and the Portuguese neighborhoods, respectively.
All Saints Episcopal Church (1890) on North Main Street provides a traditional Anglican presence, although the church is now very diverse. In 2007 it divided over the liberal policies of the US Episcopal Church, resulting in the establishment of All Saints Anglican Church in the Hebronville village of Attleboro. This church is affiliated with an Anglican diocese in Uganda.
Centenary United Methodist Church on North Main Street began on November 26, 1865, as a fellowship meeting in a building on Railroad Avenue. The first church building on the present site was dedicated in 1896 under the name of Davis Methodist Episcopal Church. The structure was destroyed by fire in 1883. The rebuilt church was named Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church in 1884, commemorating American Methodism’s 100th anniversary. In 1998 Centenary and the Hebron Methodist were consolidated into one church.
Second Congregational Church (1748), near the town common, is typical of a New England town and is the founding church of what was then East Attleboro. It is a daughter church of the First Congregational Church in the Oldtown section of North Attleborough. Originally located in a meeting house on what is now the common, Second Congregational had a stately white clapboard building built in 1825. It was removed in the early 1950s to make way for the addition of a new Fellowship Hall and education rooms. The main red brick building and clock tower were built in 1904 beside the white church. In the early 1960s the interior of the sanctuary and the entrance were dramatically remodeled, resulting in a blend of high Victorian style and the open feel of mid-century modern. The church owns the Old Kirk Yard Cemetery to its rear, where many of the town’s earliest families are buried. In its tower is the clock, owned originally by the city and now by the church. The Jack & Jill School has operated at the church for over 60 years. One of the city’s elementary schools is named in honor of the church’s first settled minister, the Reverend Peter Thatcher.
Protestant denominations represented in Attleboro include Baptist (Grace Baptist on Oakhill Avenue, Word of Truth Baptist on Union Street, and First Baptist on South Main), Advent Christian (also on Pleasant), Fruit of the Spirit Mission Church (Leroy Street), and Assembly of God (the South Attleboro AOG on Newport Avenue). The Bethany Village Fellowship, formerly Bethany Congregational Church, (1886) is in Newport Avenue. Murray Unitarian-Universalist Church (1875) is on North Main Street. Evangelical Covenant Church (1903) on North Main Street recently celebrated its 100th anniversary. It was once “the Swedish church”, but includes many different ethnic groups[clarification needed] today. Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses is located on Commonwealth Avenue.
There are also numerous non-denominational churches such as Christian & Missionary Alliance (Faith Alliance Church on Pleasant Street), Good News Bible Chapel on West Street (1935), New Covenant Christian Fellowship on North Main Street, Candleberry Ministries on South Main Street, and a handful of ethnic congregations such as St. James Anglican Church (Kenyan) which was started through church planting.
The Salvation Army Bridges of Hope on Mechanic Street holds Sunday services and weekday and evening support services, including “Bridging the Gap” for adolescents.
The Immanuel Lutheran Church offers Sunday services.
The Attleboro Area Council of Churches is very active in the community.
Congregation Agudas Achim on Kelly Boulevard is part of the Jewish Reconstructionist movement.
Walk Score for Attleboro 02703
Attleboro 02703 School Data
Attleboro 02703 School Districts
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school district data. Please check back soon.
Attleboro 02703 Schools
We’re sorry, we were unable to load the school data. Please check back soon.